You have no items in your cart.
Ep20: Jim Bob (Carter U.S.M.) on not knowing how things *should* work – and doing them anyway
Thank you for visiting – I’m delighted to share my conversation with Jim Bob aka J.B. Morrison, recorded on 28th August 2020.
Press play below or click to listen / subscribe on your favourite podcast platform, and scroll down for links to Jim Bob’s work and his recommendations.
[Content warning: some friendly swears.]
- Get two free Penfriend songs immediately – find out more here.
- I need YOU! Please subscribe, rate and review Attention Engineer (especially on Apple Podcasts) – it all helps this independent show reach more ears. Thanks!
In this conversation, we discuss:
- how to make an album when you think you’ve lost the ability to write songs
- why Jim Bob only works with people he likes
- the benefits of aiming higher than you should as an unschooled musician and novelist
- what it feels like to get in the pop charts in 2020, after having a number 1 album with Carter in 1992
- how to live a creative life after peaking early
- how the fun has gone out of Twitter
- how writing novels is (even more) brutal than writing songs
- what it was like playing to 14 people on a bill with Ed Sheeran
Explore Jim Bob’s work:
- The latest album “Pop Up Jim Bob” is out now!
- Read “A Godawful Small Affair”
- Read “Jim Bob from Carter: In the Shadow of My Former Self”
- Listen to “30 Something” by Carter
About Jim Bob
As singer with Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine, Jim Bob had 14 top 40 singles, 4 top ten albums (including a number one), sold over a million records, toured the world and headlined Glastonbury. In 2007, ten years after initially splitting, Carter USM reformed for a series of huge, sold out shows until they called it a day again in 2014.
Outside of Carter, Jim Bob has had a long and varied career as a solo artist and writer. He has released eleven solo albums, two autobiographies and six novels (several under the name J.B. Morrison). His latest album, “Pop Up Jim Bob” came out in August 2020 and went to number 26 in the pop charts, and his fifth and sixth novels, “A Godawful Small Affair” and “Harvey King Unboxes His Family” were published in one volume in March.
This podcast is 100% powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
New to my musical world?
+ Get two free songs music immediately by joining my mailing list.
+ I send a thoughtful weekly email every Thursday – join The Correspondent’s Club on a free or paid tier to receive it.
+ New episodes of my music podcast “Attention Engineer”are released every Wednesday – visit this page to find out more and subscribe via your favourite podcast platform.
Have a lovely day xo