Ep38: David Brewis (Field Music) on leaning into the editing process – inspiration is overrated
[Content warning: as always, some friendly swearing.]
In this conversation, we discuss:
- inspiration – it’s nice when it happens, but it’s overrated, and having to work on your idea doesn’t make you a worse artist (plus it’s fun!)
- the importance of sharing our experiences, to help younger artists have the encouragement we didn’t get ourselves
- being prepared for the highs and lows of releasing albums – actually planning it in
- how learning to do everything yourself can be faster than explaining what you want to someone else
- the futility of playing support slots (even if they’re with your favourite bands)
- why you don’t go to see Field Music for a good night out
Explore Field Music
Listen on Bandcamp
About Field Music
David and Peter Brewis have been releasing records as Field Music since 2005. The pair record at their own studio in Sunderland and have amassed a large and unwieldy catalogue which includes solo records, collaborations, a score for a silent documentary about the herring industry and a concept album about the aftermath of the First World War, as well as regular studio albums and occasional production work for other artists.
David’s third and most recent solo album as School of Language, 2019’s “45”, imagined the rise of Donald Trump as a funk musical.
Field Music’s new album, “Flat White Moon”, arrives in April 2021.
Visit Field Music’s website to find out more, and follow them on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
This podcast is 100% powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
New to my musical world?
+ Get two free songs music immediately by joining my mailing list.
+ I send a thoughtful email every week – join The Correspondent’s Club on a free or paid tier to receive it.
+ New episodes of my music podcast “Attention Engineer” are released every Wednesday – visit this page to find out more and subscribe via your favourite podcast platform.
Have a lovely day xo