Ep46: Ginger Wildheart on creating a you-sized shape in the world of music
Ginger Wildheart has been busy releasing music since the late 1980’s: as the leader of British rock band The Wildhearts, as a solo artist and as a member of numerous side projects and collaborations. Ever keen to find new ways to embrace his special relationship with supporters of his music, over the years he’s experimented with release methods outside the record label model including crowdfunding triple album 555% and running fan subscription club “the Ginger Associated Secret Society” or G-A-S-S.
Pre-order The Wildhearts’ 10th studio album “21st Century Love Songs” now – out on 3rd September 2021.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- why Ginger would rather be a member of Sparks than a bigger but vastly inferior band
- songwriting as a service
- the beauty and resonance of the direct to fan relationship
- the life-changing power of a song
- why learning what not to do is more valuable than learning what’s awesome
- what about the music industry? – predictions for a more sustainable, less bloated future
Things to do next:
+ Pre-order The Wildhearts’ 10th studio album “21st Century Love Songs”
+ Book tickets for their September tour here
+ Explore Ginger’s solo work here and The Wildhearts here
+ Follow Ginger on Twitter
This podcast is powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
+ Sponsor a future episode here.
+ Get your copy of my new album “Exotic Monsters” right here.
+ Get two free songs immediately when you sign up for thoughtful letters about art and music.
Have a lovely day xo