Ep28: Kat Robichaud on surviving The Voice USA to forge an independent music career
Happy new podcast to you – my first of 2021! Welcome to my conversation with Kat Robichaud, recorded on 7th December 2020.
[Content warning: some friendly swears.]
In this conversation, we discuss:
- what it’s like to do well on the biggest TV talent show going, and how Kat built an independent career afterwards
- how failure and setbacks bring a whole new world of possibility
- the mental health impact of losing the validation of a live audience during the pandemic
- how some sage advice and support from Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman helped set Kat on her journey towards creating Misfit Cabaret
- what to do when a famous artist manager says you’re “not leading lady pretty”
- the importance of our patrons and why we love them so much
SPEAKING OF WHICH, massive thanks to Nick Xylas for sponsoring this episode via The Correspondent’s Club – powering the making of new music and podcasts since May 2020. Thanks, Nick!
Explore Kat’s work:
- Listen to “Criminal” and “Bully”
- Visit Kat’s website and check out her Patreon
- Visit the Misfit Cabaret site
- Follow Kat on Twitter
About Kat Robichaud
After more than a decade of touring up and down the east coast, Kat Robichaud sang her way to the top 10 on Season 5 of NBC’s The Voice in 2016. She then released her first solo album, “Kat Robichaud and the Darling Misfits”.
Following up the momentum and critical acclaim of her album, Robichaud launched Misfit Cabaret with partner Jordan Nathan – a dazzling musical variety show performed in San Francisco, Seattle, and LA, along with Kat’s second solo album “Misfit Cabaret”. Each night features an ensemble cast of musicians, drag darlings, burlesque bombshells, aerialists and puppets. Each event is a different theme, ranging anywhere from sci fi to horror to nautical to circus, so don’t miss a night!
For more information, visit www.katrobichaud.com and krmisfitcabaret.com
This podcast is 100% powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
New to my musical world?
+ Get two free songs music immediately by joining my mailing list.
+ I send a thoughtful email every week – join The Correspondent’s Club on a free or paid tier to receive it.
+ New episodes of my music podcast “Attention Engineer” are released every Wednesday – visit this page to find out more and subscribe via your favourite podcast platform.
Have a lovely day xo