Ep48: Rou Reynolds (Enter Shikari) on wielding music as a tool of unity
Rou Reynolds is a vocalist, songwriter, composer, author and award-winning producer, best known for fronting Enter Shikari. Formed in 1999, the band are known for making outspoken, genre-spanning music accompanied by explosive live shows.
Sixth album “Nothing Is True & Everything Is Possible” came out in April 2020, and has recently been followed up with “Moratorium (Broadcasts From The Interruption)”, a collection of beautiful reinterpretations of songs from the latest studio album plus some extra treats.
Rou recently won Best Production award at the Heavy Music Awards 2021 for his work on “Nothing Is True…”, and his latest book “A Treatise on Possibility: Perspectives on Humanity Hereafter” was published by Faber Music in July.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- pre-album writing anxiety and ways to get started on new projects
- exploring subjects matter from songs in a more expansive way
- the reality of being a supposed “Myspace band” – social media platforms as part of a larger puzzle
- music making as mountain climbing: tough and lonely at times – but exhilarating, too
- mindfulness and meditation as tools for a better understanding of ourselves
- the importance of a decent chair when you’re someone who sits in one all day long
Things to do next:
This podcast is powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
+ Sponsor a future episode here.
+ Get your copy of my new album “Exotic Monsters” right here.
+ Get two free songs immediately when you sign up for thoughtful letters about art and music.
Have a lovely day xo