Ep37: Ryan Miller (Guster) on constantly throwing seeds…even if a lot of them will never sprout
Welcome to my conversation with Ryan Miller, recorded on 10th March 2021. Visit Guster’s website to explore their musical world and scroll down for some of their recent videos, including the new “Things Come Around” film shot in 2020.
[Content warning: as always, some friendly swearing.]
In this conversation, we discuss:
- the life of a multi-hyphenate artist – how giving yourself permission opens up the canvas of possibilities
- not being scared to try new things, because your fans don’t remember your failures
- how a lightbulb moment led to Ryan scoring films from Nobody (which he also co-wrote) to Safety Not Guaranteed, The Fundamentals of Caring and Mr Roosevelt
- the band / fan relationship – how Guster invented street teams in the 90s, and put their fans at the centre of everything they do
- how overlapping your interests is like putting more colours onto your canvas
Listen on Bandcamp
Ryan Miller is the lead singer and guitarist of alternative rock band Guster.
Formed in 1991, Guster have released eight studio albums, performed with symphony orchestras and played a LOT of gigs.
Since co-writing and scoring the film “Nobody” with Rob Perez, Ryan has composed music for “Safety Not Guaranteed”, “The Kings Of Summer”, “The Fundamentals Of Caring”, “Mr Roosevelt” and “The Last Summer”.
After moving to Vermont from New York, Ryan began hosting a TV series on Vermont PBS called “Makin’ Friends With Ryan Miller”.
Visit Guster’s website to find out more, and follow them on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
This podcast is 100% powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
New to my musical world?
+ Get two free songs music immediately by joining my mailing list.
+ I send a thoughtful email every week – join The Correspondent’s Club on a free or paid tier to receive it.
+ New episodes of my music podcast “Attention Engineer” are released every Wednesday – visit this page to find out more and subscribe via your favourite podcast platform.
+ You can also follow me around the web, on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Have a lovely day xoPodcast