Ep33: Liela Moss (The Duke Spirit) on artistic evolution – dropping the ego and practising for inner peace
Greetings, dear listener, and welcome to my conversation with Liela Moss, recorded in February 2021. Keep scrolling down for links to everything we discussed in this episode and go pre-order Liela’s “Who The Power” (Reformed) remix album as soon as you’ve had a listen.
[Content warning: as always, some friendly swearing.]
In this conversation, we discuss:
- learning to give space to other aspects of life as a touring musician
- evolving as an artist – letting go of the ego-driven side of being on stage while still being in love with singing and words
- the life-changing power of meditation – Liela’s experience of silent Vipassana retreats and how to bring the benefits of meditation into everyday life *and* music making
- releasing an album during COVID-19 – the reasons for going ahead
- blushing all day long – the day Liela got to sing with Nick Cave
Explore Liela’s work:
- Listen to “The Individual” and “Watching The Wolf” (from “Who The Power”)
- Listen to “Surrender” by The Duke Spirit
- Listen to the incredible new UNKLE remix of “Atoms At Me” from upcoming remix album “Who The Power (Reformed)”
About Liela Moss
First known for her work as vocalist with the Duke Spirit, Liela Moss’s solo albums “My Name Is Safe In Your Mouth” (2018) and “Who The Power” (2020), recorded with producer and partner Toby Butler, mark great leaps forward for one of alt-rock’s most magnetic voices.
Over 14 years, Moss’s work with the Duke Spirit (not gone, just on pause) ranged from brawling riff-rock to the more exploratory Sky Is Mine (2017). Other projects have included synth-rock recordings with Butler under the name Roman Remains; elsewhere, Moss has leant her sublime voice to studio and live collaborations with UNKLE, Nick Cave, Giorgio Moroder and Lost Horizons, the project formed by former Dif Juz drummer Richie Thomas and Bella Union’s Simon Raymonde, who produced three Duke Spirit albums.
This podcast is 100% powered by my Correspondent’s Club. Thanks to every single member for your support!
New to my musical world?
+ Get two free songs music immediately by joining my mailing list.
+ I send a thoughtful email every week – join The Correspondent’s Club on a free or paid tier to receive it.
+ New episodes of my music podcast “Attention Engineer” are released every Wednesday – visit this page to find out more and subscribe via your favourite podcast platform.
Have a lovely day xo